Understanding History – Experiencing History | Division – GDR – Reunification
Unfortunately the event has to be cancelled.
After having dealt with every epoch of German history, the most relevant events, the great wars as well as Germany’s probably darkest period, during the National Socialists, we now begin to discuss events of the recent past and their effects, especially here in Eastern Germany.
In three courses, we deal with the effects of the Second World War, the division of Germany, life in the GDR and German unification. The focus will be on Dresden both at the time of the GDR and the Wende, and especially at the present time. The excursions of this subject area will refer to the Dresden Neustadt, a quarter which stands like no other for the events of the turnaround years 1989/90 and should serve us as a historical testimony. In addition to a guided tour through the popular district, the BRN Museum will be visited.
06 November, 6 – 8 pm
- introduction consequences of the Second World War, German division, denazification
- Cold War, inner-German border and Berlin Wall
- comparative consideration of the Federal Republic of Germany and the GDR
07 November, 2 – 4 pm
- life in the GDR, work and leisure in the “workers’ and farmers’ state
- introduction and problems of the planned economy
- politics and state security
14 November, 2 – 4 pm
- causes, course and consequences of German reunification
Open for everyone – big or small, old or young, new in town or long-time Dresdner. Be there! We are looking forward to you!
VeranstaltungsortDifo – Dresdner Institut für Fortbildung
Pulsnitzer Straße 6
Kontakt & Informationinfo@kulturaktiv.org
course of several days:
Free of charge!